08 July 2018

belonging. be.

THE HOUSE OF BELONGING
I awoke
this morning 
in the gold light 
turning this way
and that

thinking for 
a moment 
it was one 
day
like any other.

But 
the veil had gone 
from my 
darkened heart 
and 
I thought

it must have been the quiet 
candlelight 
that filled my room,
it must have been 
the first 
easy rhythm 
with which I breathed 
myself to sleep,
it must have been 
the prayer I said 
speaking to the otherness 
of the night.

And 
I thought 
this is the good day 
you could 
meet your love,
this is the gray day 
someone close 
to you could die.

This is the day 
you realize 
how easily the thread 
is broken 
between this world 
and the next
and I found myself 
sitting up 
in the quiet pathway 
of light,
the tawny close 
grained cedar 
burning round 
me like fire 
and all the angels 
of this housely 
heaven ascending 
through the first 
roof of light 
the sun had made.

This is the bright home 
in which I live, 
this is where 
I ask
my friends 
to come, 
this is where I want 
to love all the things 
it has taken me so long 
to learn to love.

This is the temple 
of my adult aloneness 
and I belong 
to that aloneness 
as I belong to my life.

There is no house 
like the house of belonging.

'The House of Belonging'
From The House of Belonging
Poems by David Whyte
© David Whyte and Many Rivers Press



No comments: