20 October 2009

Instrumental


By chance, during a poetry festival recently, I had an enlightening chat about communication with an acquaintance's husband, who just happens to also administer the Myers-Briggs personality test.
INFP! I said,
and he proceeded to share this story of an exchange between he (also an INFP)
and his wife (not so much of an INFP)... 

"The path from your brain to your mouth," she said to him after a particularly frustrating communication process, "is like a french horn. Except sometimes something coherent comes out the other end, and sometimes it doesn't!"

... to which he replied:
"And your path from your brain to your mouth is like a well-greased trombone slide!"

With this welcomed lighthearted, insightful new way of see-ing each other,
they both laughed at themselves and haven't taken communication so seriously since.


With that in mind, did you know that 90% of communication is
non-verbal?


 Understanding my self, yet not attaching to who I am as a personality only,
so that I can stretch and grow outside of my perceived container(s),
as well as understand, inter-act, and respond with other beings,
rather than react to them,
this knowledge of my inherent nature is helpful information
in order to access the courage to joyfully practice my part in the musical of life.

In the same vein as music, the ocean as a metaphor for navigating life moves me deeply as well.
One of my favorite quotes from Sogyal Rinpoche:

"A wave in the sea, seen in one way, seems to have a distinct identity, an end and a beginning, a birth and a death. Seen in another way, the wave itself doesn't really exist but is just the behavior of water, 'empty' of any separate identity but 'full' of water. So when you really think about the wave, you come to realize that it is something that has been made temporarily possible by wind and water, and is dependent on a set of constantly changing circumstances. You also realize that every wave is related to every other wave."

~ ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~

What instrument(s) do you practice playing?
If you're interested in your own exploration of the Jung-inspired Myers-Briggs test:
http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp
Also a good book I have read, which includes the test, is
'Please Understand Me II' by David Keirsey

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the french horn and trombone comparison! And leads me to reflect on other instruments we may use. Playing the piano? Yearning to play the guitar? I love you! Rhonda

mella said...

R, yes, I found that comparison to be profoundly helpful for me in the ongoing progression of acceptance of my self...
And I believe those other 'instruments' we may be drawn to at different times in our lives can represent the essence of our next growth step beckoning to us. Directional rather than concrete in nature.
For me, my inherent 'instrument' is already rooted, a base from which to branch out. I am the strongest inside when I am 'tuned in' to this and am conscious about my choices to step outside of that and not hold myself to any conditioned shape present mostly just in my mind/ego.
So it all-ways comes down to awareness. For me, practicing awareness is the key that unlocks the freedom inside to connect to who I am and to view it all as just play.
Play in progress...
Love you!