25 October 2009

Nice


My mom's name is Eunice.
I always thought it was a nice name,
and that it fit her, because she is, well, quite a nice person.
Plus she's a Minnesotan, and you know what they say about them...
~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~
Recently someone who doesn't know anyone else in my family except me,
made a comment about my 'you-ness'.
I thought that was such a sweet thing to say and it kept rolling around in my head.
Then it hit me for the first time in my 37 years I've known my mother...
my Eu-nice!
It has been an enlightening journey discovering, honoring, and claiming
the parts of me that have the essence of her in them too.
~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~
Another friend speaks of all of what we receive from our birth parents as
fertile soil from which to grow.
I believe that to be true
whatever our current, past, or future relationship may be with them,
and that it's much larger than what the relationship is/was in the physical.
~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~
Oh what joy is to be found in simply witnessing our collective you-ness!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love my "you-nice" and your "you-nice" and our "Eunice" Mom! I learn from you sweet sistah! Rhonda

mella said...

Thanks Rhonda. We are truly blessed.
I love how our varied geographical situations allow for each of us to have and to share very different experiences... How unique is it to actually be on a bowling league with your Mom! :~)
And so the learning continues...