09 March 2012

whoa.man

'There is a vitality, a life-force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action and because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware directly to the urges that motivate you.
Keep the channel open...'
~Martha Graham



On a Women's Circle site I read that in South Africa, you might hear local people greeting each other with
"Sawu bono"
equivalent to "Hi" or "Namaste"
which literally means

"I see you".

If you were from the same tribe you would respond with
"Shikona"
which means "I am here".
The essence of the exchange:

It is only when you see me that I exist.


One woman I have been seen by is Marion Rosen.
I had the blessed opportunity to receive a bodywork session from her during an Intensive (photo below was taken shortly after) and it was one of the most powerful experiences of my life. Marion recently passed after living fully for 97 years. When I grow up if I may be a fraction as good as her... well, she was just one of those amazing conduits for transformation. Not that she was trying to be, she simply showed up in her own life, and her light shone so brightly from a place of goodness, gentleness, and genuine humanity that she made the world a better place. A more worthwhile place.

Berkeley, CA 2008

Yesterday was International Womens Day, and in gratitude of so many beautiful sister-women-friends I have crossed paths with in my life,
Sawu bono.


If you want to go quickly, go alone.
If you want to go far, go together.
  ~African proverb

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sawu bono! I love you Miss Melanie! Rhonda

mella said...

Shikona.
xoxo!