04 May 2011

Ode to Gibby

(he was present and joyful with me on my 1st birthday,
and beyond...)


this past month you would
have been 110

though you've been gone
physically
for a long time now
  I feel your spirit
daily.

your wisdom and gentleness
live on through your only son,
a gem of a father
and human being.

when I left your side
as you were taking your
last breaths
I pray you knew that
I didn't know that
I didn't have to listen
to the adults who
intended to protect me
by leading me away from witnessing
death.

I knew you were leaving
and I wasn't scared.
 I needed to hold your hand.
It is a painful consequence
at any age to not
trust yourself.

I carried a piece from your
rock collection
in my wedding bouquet,
and I carry you in my heart
wherever I roam.

May you continue resting in peace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah... I still feel Grandpa's presence too. He knows, Melanie. He knows. Thank you for sharing. Do you remember he would do the "...so big!" thing with his hands? Love the photo! and I love you too! Rhonda

mella said...

thank you, Rhonda, and I did not remember that - I wondered why his hands were in the air! love you ♥