01 May 2009

Synchronicity



There is great clarity and a sense of completion in finding oneself having come full circle with an experience, but even more delightful to discover that the circle keeps going.  The circle becomes like an artichoke with more rich layers underneath... and the layers keep going around and around... until you reach the tender heart.  Which of course is protected by a bristly choke.

I recently had this full circle'ish experience when I reconnected with a boss from a place I left 6 years ago.  I was thrilled he took the time out of his day to have lunch with me.  And during lunch he said that he was so honored that I remembered him and my previous job place enough to revisit and reconnect, because, you know, 'we didn't end on the best of terms'.  I was shocked and had no idea what he was talking about!  There was a wave of horror/embarrassment/shame that came over me as I franticly tried to remember how things ended, sure that I was the one who offended him somehow, that I didn't even hear the rest of what he said '... and I always felt badly about that'.

He was surprised that I had no recollection of the event, and I could see he wished he hadn't brought it up.  Even when he explained more fully what the event was, I still had only a vague memory.  Turns out he had promised me something, some time off that I had requested, and then due to another staff person having an emergency, he needed to take it back.  Apparently I was so upset, I even wrote him a note, which essentially was a resignation letter, stating among other reasons that I was leaving and that this incident was a last straw.  (I told him I hope he burned the note, God knows what I said!)  He did say that he had a sense that I was ready to move on from the job anyways, yet he has felt badly for this many years.  He was right, it was time for me to move on, and I only have fond memories of my experience working there.

One never knows... I hadn't even been planning to reconnect, yet a series of synchronistic events led me there, and 'suddenly' we were having lunch together.  A first, actually.

I am grateful to have had the opportunity to clear the air, and I thanked him for bringing it up.  Reminded me of how sensitive we all are, and how usually the most sensitive and heart-protective ones among us have learned or needed to put up the toughest exterior.

It also left me wondering how many of these life events and interactions with one another we hang onto, for whatever reason, that we really can just allow ourselves to let go of...  the other person has long since forgotten... 

I do believe that in reality, it is a rare occurrence that we get to bring these experiences to a place of forgiveness, resolution, and completion face-to-face.  Had my boss, who I now consider a friend, not had the courage to bring this up, we wouldn't have had the opportunity to move forward in a fresh new way.  Miguel Ruiz says, 'don't take anything personally, what another person does is because of them, not because of you'.  In this situation this was very true, whatever hurt or upset I had over the time off incident I apparently let go of shortly thereafter (maybe even as soon as I wrote him the letter).  It was also a reminder to be mindful of how we can affect others with our words and our actions.

And to flow with life, to be willing to experience coincidences along the way,
to be open to healing opportunities for ourselves and others,
and to allow intuition and insight to lead to the meaning in them for ourselves.

I for one whole(artichoke)heartily believe in synchronicity.

1 comment:

ethiopifinn said...

it is so wonderful to read this post! it makes me miss you so much--beautifully written. thank you for the email :)